Traveling America in a VW Van – pt 3

Traveling America in a VW Van – pt 3

Kansas: the Gateway to Colorado

Did anyone else know that Kansas is 400 miles long? It felt like a year as we drove through the Sunflower State. I’m still not sure why it wasn’t named the Corn State. We tried to get through Kansas as fast as we could, because that meant Colorado was even closer. We plowed through corn across I-70. Our three days on the road went without a hitch, and we were even able to drive during most of the daytime before the sun kicked us off the road.

The first night in Kansas was spent at a campsite in a small city park in Saint Mary’s. This sweet little farming community seemed to be stuck in the 1950s. I think we were somewhat of a novelty as the bus chugged through the park, interrupting baseball and swimming practices. When we finally got settled in, we took the opportunity to cook outside on the picnic tables and made a delicious fajita lunch. The rest of our day was spent walking around the park and relaxing in the shade. The next morning, I woke bright and early to the sounds of people checking out the car and peering through the windows down below. We felt like outsiders here, and decided to pack up our stuff quickly to continue west. The bus trudged down back roads for most of the day, which was fine because we didn’t get passed by trucks every twenty seconds.

IMG_2687Our final night in Kansas was at the beautiful Cedar Bluff State Park. We found a nice secluded spot under the trees that overlooked the reservoir. It was getting hot, so we hung out in our bathing suits all day as we cooked a feast. I think this was the best meal of our whole trip, though Conrad may disagree. We passed the time by playing cards and goofing around. This campsite also had free showers! I was more excited about the shower than I was that we would land in Colorado the next day. We were clean and happy campers as we snuggled in to bed that night.

“You think we’re finally going to get a good nights sleep?”

“Yeah, I hope so”.


I woke a few hours later with the feeling that the bus was about to topple over on her side. Thunder and lightening shook the ground around us as wind and water whipped the canvas near our heads. I was scared. But there was no time for fear as we scurried down below and closed the pop top. Then, we noticed that the trees above us had dropped hundreds of tiny bugs in through an invisible hole in the roof. Time to move. So we ran outside to take the shade down and I directed Conrad into a safer spot that was clear of trees, and hopefully bugs. Then it was time to crawl back inside and rearrange the car so we could sleep on the bed below. Then it was time to put dry clothes on.

“Are we going to be okay in here?”

“I hope so”.

Then it was time for sleep.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *